Sunday, August 30, 2009

feed me!


I know we're not supposed to feed the wildlife, but with the drought and extreme heat, the deer have little natural food to forage. Everyone in town is feeding them, including me. In the mornings they stand in my yard, endlessly gazing at me while at my desk. It's alittle unsettling to be constantly watched, with their thin craning necks and big, watery unblinking eyes . How could I not feed them? They love bananas, apples, carrots, iceberg lettuce and corn tortillas. Oddly enough, they don't care for celery.

4 comments:

Margie Deeb said...

This really captures how it must feel to be stared down by those gorgeous, hungry creatures. Do they eat fro
your hand, or do you place food on the ground for them?

Susan Rudat said...

The food goes on the ground. I have a Pavlov thing with them, they start drooling long strings of saliva when they see me. Most of the deer are friendly, but they are also unpredictable. With each other, they stand on their hind legs and punch with their front feet. It's best to keep a few feet distance from the deer. Thanks for visiting, Margie.

Andrea said...

So sad, I would feed them too.

Susan Rudat said...

These deer are a hardy bunch. They'll be just fine. It's good that they're disease-free, so they're relatively healthy.